|How to make Salt Dough Halloween Table Centre Pieces.|
I have been planning a Halloween Themed Party for Dimples and his best mates that will be at the end of October. To get him in the spirit we have been doing some Halloween themed activities. Instead of our usual messy play we made some Salt Dough Decorations to hang around at the party.
Using Halloween Cookie cutters of a Bat, a cat and a moon Dimples and I pre-made some salt dough cookies. The recipe is so simple:
- Mix together 2 Cup Flour, 1 1/2 Cup of Salt & 1 cup of hot water.
- Gradually mix in the water you may not use it all.
- Knead it together like dough and roll it flat like you would when making cookies onto some non-stick baking paper.
- Then use your shapes to cut out your decorations, to make them hanging decorations like ours you will need a large straw, simply poke a hole through the top of your decoration about 1 cm away from the edge (remember to do the holes before cooking)
- Bake on low heat approx 120 degree for a few hours at least. If you have it hot they will crack and crumble, this is pretty flexible but you need to make sure they are cooked through. If you have thick cookies you may have to turn them and cook for another couple of hours.
Then came the fun part. The following day Dimples and his good friend got to decorate them. Yes, I said it wasn't our usual messy play but Dimples can not help himself. Miss K sat beautifully, painting her salt dough decorations as Dimples decided he was BATMAN, and felt the need to paint himself Black instead of the salt Dough Bats :) See above, he is in the process of painting his entire arm.
Before the paint had a chance to dry they added some sparkling glitter and then we sat them on the window to dry. Later on we painted the opposite side. Once dry I threaded some wool through the holes so they could be hung and we found a wide spread branch to use to hang them on.
This branch was painted White and then I added some glow in the dark paint over it. Using a well balanced ceramic pot, we filled it up with decorative stones and placed our spooky looking branch in it. Adding some spider web of course and some plastic spiders and our gorgeous Halloween decorations.
Become a Member on the Adventuresathomewithmum blog, facebook and Pinterest to keep updated with our Halloween Play ideas and remember to check back after Halloween for a post including How we partied, Halloween food ideas, Party Acitivities and more decorations.
Happy Adventures :)